Tuesday, December 07, 2004

A potty update

Day two of Mason's potty experience went much better than I would have expected. I'm sitting at my desk in the office and Mason comes in from the bathroom, carrying his new potty. "Pee, Mama." So down come the pants and diaper and up he goes onto the toilet. "No, mama, no. Down." Apparantly, being just a mom and all, I am unaware that men, and little boys, need to stand up when they pee. So I put my hands up aplogetically and step back, watching as he leans in just a bit and starts grunting. His little hands are holding his shirt up and he's craning his head forward, trying to see why the pee isn't coming out. I turn my head away for a quick second and when I turn back, lo and behold, the edge of the potty is all wet! He did it, he really did it, all by himself. He didn't actually make it in, but so what. I shrieked so loudly I startled him until he saw how happy and proud I was of him, then he just started smiling. It is so amazing to watch how happy he gets when we are excited about something he does. Another triumph by our brilliant son!

We're not expecting miracles. We don't expect him to suddenly be able to do this all of the time and all on his own, but the fact that he's growing up is just so wonderful. Sad, but wonderful. Yesterday our potty experience expanded just a bit further. He doesn't actually want to take his diaper off but he will sit down on his toilet and go poop. In his diaper, mind you, but the fact that he is putting it all together is just stupendous. Angry, he might be, if he knew that I was sharing such intimate information with everyone, but luckily he is only 19 months old and if he should ever read this, I'm sure he'll have many other things to be angry at me about.

In other news, his vocabulary is expanding daily. He is able to say more and more each day and has even been able to say a few two word phrases. Not consistently but he's working on it. Watching him stop and think when you ask him a question is really awesome. He knows all of our names now but sometimes he has to pause for a second to sort through his database to pick the right words. He doesn't always get it right but he's getting there.

Such an amazing little man. Who knew this would be so tough yet so much fun all at the same time.

No comments: