Thursday, February 17, 2005

Changes, changes, changes

So many new things going on in the life of the Schuster's these days. For starters, as some of you may or may not know, we have decided to have this next little munchkin at home. It's a big decision but one we are very settled on. We had flirted with the idea when we first got pregnant with Mason but there were too many unknowns and we weren't ready for it. But my first birth went so well and was so amazing that I figure I can do it again, just at home. And I thank our dear friends Matthew and Eva for putting the seeds in our heads again.

I think a lot of people have trouble with the idea and wonder how we can not worry that something will go wrong, but we spent a lot of time thinking about it and think the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. I hate hospitals, I have always hated hospitals and I have spent enough time in them throughout my life to know that I would rather not have to go there again unless it were absolutely necessary. Don't get me wrong, our experience at Marin General was fantastic and the nurses were great, but we couldn't sleep in our own bed and Wolf had to sleep on that horrible fold out chair, we were in a strange, noisy and uncomfortable environment and nurses kept coming by at all hours of the night to check on us. I had an all natural birth with no drugs, despite 12 hours of hard labor, and my body dealt with it all far better than I ever could have imagined. Had that experience not been a good one, I would be far more reluctant to have this second one at home. This time I can relax in my bathtub, walk around my house naked if I choose, labor anywhere, give birth anywhere, and finally, sleep in our wonderfully luxurious king sized bed when all is said and done. Mason's life is about to change drastically and we would like to make the initial transition as smooth as possible. Of course it would be ideal to go into labor while he is sleeping and have him wake up to a new brother or sister, but as we know, things don't always go as planned. We will, of course, have a back up plan but the midwives we have chosen have well over a thousand births each and we feel comfortable that they will know what to do when the time comes, no matter what action is necessary.

Other news: Mason will be starting "school" in 2 weeks. I know myself well enough to know that I will literally be on the brink of insanity if I have to deal with both children every day, all day. So putting Mason in school 2 days a week seems a good way to balance everything. He will get to make a bunch of friends, have lots of adventures and get himself ready for preschool. We are on a bit of a tight schedule, though, because we really want to get him settled in somewhere before this next baby comes so that he doesn't feel like he is being abandoned or punished in any way.

March 1st will be his first day at The Kid's Place. It is a school that is based on a program called Reggio Emilia. I studied it in school when I was getting my degree in Early Childhood Education and I remember hoping that there would be such schools around when my kids were ready. He will be in the toddler, or tadpole, class until he is 30 months, then he will move into the preschool. He will not have to go to another school so the transiton should be a smooth one. The whole premise of this program is the teachers take ideas that the kids like and are interested in and incorporate learning with that. I know it isn't for all kids, just as Montessori or Waldorf isn't, but I am hoping that he will like it and have fun. I guess we'll just have to see.

Well, I guess those are the biggest events going on right now. We are all getting over sinus infections and colds but have managed to escape the ear infections and the flu (knock on wood). April 11th is fast approaching and I am getting bigger by the day...and more tired. Sleeping is becoming quite difficult and is not helped by the need to pee every 2 hours or the squirmy little being wedging itself up under my ribs. Ah, soon, soon, it will all be over and I will be done with pregnancy. Not that I really have anything to complain about but it sure takes its toll on your body.

Last note: We asked Mason the other day what we should name the baby if it is a boy and he told us Nemo. If it is a girl, she will be called Cookie. So there you have it, as decided by the big brother: Nemo or Cookie.

No comments: