Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I am a horrible parent

At least I feel that way today. I'm sure most, if not all, parents feel that way at one time or another. Today had actually started out a pretty good day. I took the boys to LeapFrog to be part of a "making of" video for a new toy they are coming out with. We all had a lot of fun and the boys did beautifully. Then we went to Togo's and had lunch....miracle of all miracles-Mason preferred a sandwich over french fries. I had to make sure he wasn't a pod person.

The bad part happened just after lunch. I had to change both of the boys' diapers before getting into the car so we sat down a knee-high stone wall, which seemed like the perfect place. Mason was first, then Momo. But just as I was finishing with Momo, Mason got restless and was telling me he wanted to go "over to that thing over there." I told him no because I couldn't see over there and his reply was that he would be super fast. I thought he was going to start heading over there so I jumped up to be prepared to stop him, but forgot about Morgan laying on the stone wall. 2 seconds later I heard this dull thud and looked down to see Morgan lying on the ground. My heart stopped, the world stopped and I raced to pick him up. I'm not really clear on what I did after that. Mason sensed something bad had happened because he stopped being difficult and asked me what happened. I tried to stay calm and I headed to the car but I started crying half way there. It was either that or throw up. I must have been quite a sight - holding a screaming baby, pushing a stroller, crying and trying to walk with a 2 year old across a busy parking lot.

In any case, Momo appears to be okay, although I had to talk to everyone I know on the phone before I could be convinced of that. He really only cried for a few minutes and then he seemed sleepy but that was really only because it was nap time.

I'm still feeling crappy but it'll pass. Both boys are awake from their naps and playing, so all is right with the world again.

1 comment:

Gyasi said...

Ahhh! I'm so sorry! When Cai was a tiny baby I let him fall off the couch and it was AWFUL. I could now list approximately six other times that I have let my children fall onto one hard surface or another - you are not alone! And by the way - I was thinking about you today and CLEARLY should've followed my instinct and called... xoxo